35 Years of Islam in East Orange
In 1981, the Islamic Center of America was founded as Masjid Rawdatullah-The Islamic Center of East Orange, for the sole purpose of providing the Muslims with a place to worship Allah. In 1983, The Muslim community purchased a 5,000 square foot building to accommodate Islaam’s growth in East Orange, New Jersey. The Muslim community established an Islamic day school in 1984 with the objective of educating Preschool and Kindergarten children in an Islamic environment, which later expanded to a full-time school with all grades from Preschool through Twelfth-Grade. In 1997, the Muslims acquired a 66,686 square foot facility that could house a complete Islamic Center that would satisfy all the religious needs of the Muslims and changed our name to the Islamic Center of America. The current Islamic Center includes Masjidu Ahlis Sunnah-with over 19,000 square feet; Madrasatu Ahlis Sunnah-with nearly 20 classrooms within the new Facility and old facility; and Maktabatu Ahlis Sunnah-which was established originally in 1985 to disseminate Islamic books, tapes and other materials to the community and has grown into two separate bookstores to services the men and the women of the community.
The Islamic Center of America, Masjidu Ahlis Sunnah, Madrasatu Ahlis Sunnah, and Maktabatu Ahlis Sunnah were founded in 1981, under the leadership of Imam Ahmad Burhani, as The Islamic Center of East Orange, Masjid Rawdatullah, for the sole purpose of providing the Muslims with a place to worship Allaah. Two short years later, the small Muslim community had already outgrown the modestly rented storefront at 239 Central Avenue, East Orange, New Jersey.
Humbly attempting to please Allaah, the Muslims purchased a 5,000 square foot building at 61 Lincoln Street, East Orange, New Jersey, to adequately accommodate Islaam’s growth in East Orange, New Jersey and the increase in Muslims around the surrounding areas.
In 1997, the Muslims acquired a 66,686 sq. ft. facility on one and a half acres to house a complete Islamic Center that would satisfy all the religious needs of the Muslims. The Masjid, which is over 19,000 sq. ft., holds over 3,5000 believers and is one of the largest in the country, if not the largest. The Center is open all day, every day, for all of the five Sallah, Salaatu-Jumu’ah, classes, etc.
Facts, Noteworthy , Ideas and Contributions from three decades of service
- The Islamic Center of East Orange was established in the spring of 1981 at 239 Central Avenue.
- The Islamic Center of East Orange, Masjid Rawdatullah purchased 61 Lincoln St. on December 27, 1983.
- The Muslims move into The Islamic Center of East Orange on Lincoln St in the early spring of 1984.
- The Islamic Day School was established at 61 Lincoln Street in the fall 1984 as a Preschool-Kindergarten for Muslim Children.
- The Islamic Day School rented 261 William ST from July 1992-June 30, 1997. From there the school went up to the fourth grade and eventually graduating the first high school class in June 1995.
- The Islamic Center of America, Masjidu Ahlis Sunnah, 215 North Oraton Parkway was acquired on June 24, 1997.