Waking up and eating before fasting is very important. It is also a time to be mindful of eating healthy and having a balanced diet. Below is a breakfast recipe for you and your family to make this Ramadan. Bismillah.
Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
- Pre-made pie crust
- 1 cup of dried beans (any type will do)
- Wax paper (enough to fit into your pie dish)
- 2 cups spinach
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups half and half
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar (divided in half)
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Roll out pre-made pie crust and place into pie dish.
- Taper or trim the rim of the pie crust after it has been placed into the pie dish to your liking (making a design is optional).
- Place wax paper on top of the pie crust.
- Pour 1 cup of dried beans onto the wax paper to weigh the paper down.
- Bake the pie crust at 425° F for 10 mins. and then remove from the oven.
- Cool the baked pie crust (leave the beans and wax paper on the pie crust until it has cooled).
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325° F.
- In a lightly oiled frying pan, cook 2 cups spinach and ½ cup diced mushrooms together over low heat for 15 mins., or until the spinach has been adequately wilted and all of the liquid released from the spinach and mushrooms have dried out.
- Cool the spinach and mushroom mix.
- In a bowl mix together 3 eggs, 1 ½ cups half and half, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp garlic powder. ½ tsp onion powder, 1 tbsp flour, and ½ cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar. Mix until everything is combined well, and all lumps of flour or dry seasoning have been well integrated.
- Add to your egg mixture your cooled spinach and mushroom mix, and stir.
- Remove the beans and wax paper from your cooled pie crust.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar on the pie crust to coat the bottom.
- Pour egg mix into pie crust, and sprinkle remaining ¼ cup of finely shredded sharp cheddar on top.
- Bake quiche at 325° F for 45-50 mins. The texture should have the consistency of a firm custard (do not overcook).
- Remove quiche from oven and let cool.